Friday, July 1, 2016

31 Days Of Friends, Day 1: Jarkko, Hanna, Vilho, and more

For the month of July, I'm going to spend time with at least one friend a day who I've not seen or spoken to for a while. By the end of the month, I'm hoping to have caught up with at least 31 different people.

I wasn't supposed to be off today, but a surprise trip to the hospital last night provided me with a surprise sick day. I was afraid I'd have to postpone my meetings with friends, but as I figured that, as long as I took it easy, everything would be fine.

I started my day by walking in the rain to Yak and Yeti, my favorite lunch place in Pori, to meet Jarkko, one of my favorite people in Pori. Every Friday, yak and Yeti has shahi paneer, or cheese in tomato curry. It's one of my favorite foods in the world, and the most popular lunch item on Yak and Yeti's menu. Jarkko and I both make it a point to eat the dish every Friday, but it's rare that we see each other in the process. Today was a planned, and well-appreciated, exception.

Jarkko and I talked about his recent trip to the UK, UK politics, music, and life. As usual, the time flew by and I found myself wishing we had just five more minutes to catch up.

After we left and Jarkko went back to work, I headed over to Luomupuoti in Kauppahalli to meet my dear friend, Hanna. I don't get to see Hanna much, since we both have young children and busy schedules. We had a lovely chat over tea about life and it felt so relaxing to sit with her in peace.


After tea, I headed home to pick up the items I needed to bring to the flea market table I share with Vilho. Vilho met me downstairs shortly after, and off we went.

The flea market was offering coffee and buns, in celebration of their birthday. Despite being grotesquely full of shahi paneer, I indulged in a bun. I have no shame.

Vilho and buns

While at the flea market, we ran into Naa, my friend from Ghana, and our mutual friend from Gambia. What followed was a ridiculous series of events involving a microwave that I'm sure onlookers either found hilarious or confusing.

Our friend had bought the microwave, which was older and heavy, from the flea market, but since he'd arrived by bike, he had no way to transport it. We tried helping him tie the microwave to his bike, but it became clear this wasn't a viable option. So, he decided to carry the microwave on his head from the flea market to Puuvilla, which is a journey of about a kilometer. They stopped every hundred meters or so until Naa, by chance, saw a friend of hers, who happened to be in a car. The friend offered to help them get the microwave to where they needed to go and all was right with the world.

I then went for a haircut at a salon I've never tried before, since my usual hair dresser started her maternity leave yesterday. The salon is called Saxet, and I'm very pleased with how my hair looks!

My haircut and my dude

Sickness aside, I have a lovely Friday and I'm looking forward to how the rest of this month will go.

No comments: